On the 29th of December, 1940, All Hallows by the Tower was hit by German incendiary bombs. These brass rubbings pictured below were just a few that laid under the hot stones and molten lead. They remained there until 1951 when the full restoration of the Church began. It was not until the contractors started to lift the asphalt carpet and remove the rubble that the brasses were rediscovered.
To learn more on the All Hallows by the Tower read The Monumental Brasses of All Hallows by-the-Tower, by C.G. Misselbrook
|A full length figure, clean shaven, with long hair, wearing a doublet with close sleeves, a long fur-trimmed over-gown, with wide sleeves, and large round-toed shoes. From his girdle hangs his pounch or purse, and also a rosary, to one end of which is attached his ring. Between his feet is a small dog, not unusual on a brass of this date. The inscription is in Latin, with the Prayer for the Dead erased.|
Between the feet of the figure is a shield with a merchant's mark. The inscription at the foot of the brass, though badly knocked about, can be easily read. Of You're Charitie praye for the soules of Andrewe Evyngar Cytezen and Salter of London and Ellyn his Wyffe on whose Soule Jesu have m.cy Amen. The precatory prayers have been cut away but are still legible.
The Saxon Abbey of Barking founded the church in 675AD, and the oldest surviving Saxon arch in the City of London can still be seen in the church today. The top of the arch is formed of Roman roof tiles, thought to have been recycled by the Saxons from remains found on this site. In the crypt beneath is a Roman tessellated pavement, discovered in 1926, evidence of city life on this site for the best part of two thousand years...